Question

cantmakepar

What counts as a credit account?
I pay a number of recurring bills with a debit card. Does any of these count favorably in a credit report? Any point in signing up for an otherwise unnecessary merchant-sponsored card (Amazon, airlines, gasoline etc)? More clutter.

If you pay by Credit Card, then it gets reported (by usage of that card), but this is not something that really inproves your score, and can hurt it if your utilazation goes over 9%.

The merchant cards will hurt your score in the short term as you lose points for hard inquiry, and average age of credit.  But in the mong run it increases avaiable credit, number of credit lines both of which will increase your score.  Remeber credit is a long time frame game, and sometimes it helps to take a small hit for a larger increase in the future.  This does not mean you should go get 20 store credit cards.  But one here and there will help establish a strong credit profile.  Typically I only add one when making a large purchase and to use the free finacing, but I have +20 credit lines and over 800 score.

happy2help

I am trying to get my accounts over 20+. I have a line on my house (mortgage) 3 paid off closed auto loans soon to be 4 paid off. Student loan in good standing... and every year i add a credit card to take advantage of 0% interest even though they are paid off now. So I have 7 credit cards. Which makes 15 accounts 3 closed transunion. I need help adding accounts...

Debit Cards do Nothing for your Credit Report / Credit Score, 

What is Clutter?  have 30 Credit Cards in your Wallet?  
You should 

only Carry

one Debit Card 

one Credit Card

Drivers Lic 

Copies of your Insurance Card ( only if it Does not have your Soc Sec Number on it )

on you,  thats it,  Never carry

All of your Credit Cards,

Never Carry your Soc Sec Card EVER!