Question

mliubkin

What constitutes a legal debt validation?
When receiving debt validation letters from original creditors and collection agencies, what information are they required to provide, so that it constitutes as proof of debt? I recently filed a dispute about several collection items, and received a letter from an original creditor, stating the account number and date the account was opened/closed, but no copies of original signed contract. Is that sufficient as proof of debt?

They also notified me that they have updated the credit agencies. I checked my reports, and noticed that they did update it, even though the account was charged off and closed and is in collections. So now I have an additional negative item on my Experian report.

Why are you playing games with the bureaus? If they have account numbers and opened/closed dates, then it sounds like you had an account with them. If the debts are real, then they SHOULD be on your report. The dispute process isn't there to remove things you don't like; it's there to protect people from identity theft. Stop abusing the system.

mliubkin

First of all, I'm not abusing the system. I have a legal right to dispute items on my credit report. I disputed items I believed were there in error, and one of them had already been removed.  Secondly, I was under the impression that one of the purposes of this site is to educate people about credit. As such, If you are unable or unwilling to reply to my post, please don't.

Now,  back to my question. I was asking what constitutes a legal debt validation. However, if I receive a letter from a creditor with no information attached, other than an account number, is that sufficient to be considered a debt validation?