Question

Mraphael

What can I do to prevent someone trying to get credit in my name

Safeguard your information. If you feel that it has been comprimised you can consider "freezing your credit reports". Transunion, Equifax and Experian all have websites with contact info and instructions on how to do things such as this. Keep in mind that it can cause headaches for you though as you will need to lift the freeze when you need to apply for credit, so I would only do it if there is truly serious concern. There are also services like "Life Lock" out there but I have no idea if they are any good. In the meantime just monitor your credit closely to look for any suspicious changes, don't forget about Experian, you don't get that here.