Question

angeleyes71866

What can I do to dispute a charge off on my credit report??
I was in a debt settlement program for a credit card but before I could complete the program the credit card company wrote me off at the end of the year for their tax purposes and now my credit is destroyed!!

They can be vindictive like that

As far as I know, there is no way for you to add an account back to your report. They took the write off and reported it to the IRS. So legally they can't accept any more payments on that debt.

They pay to report the info so the Credit bureaus, so They generally have the last word.

You can add a Personal Statement to your credit report explaining that you were paying this debt off and what happened. It won't change anything in your score but gives you a chance to explain what happened, Printed right on your credit report, when you do apply for new credit. Generally this would only really help when you are doing large financing like mortgages, Where you actually talk with a lender face to face.  Credit cards and auto loans are most likely computer generated approvals based on scores and not what actually is  in your report.