Question

LH04

What can I do about a 30 day late payment (one time, extreme circumstances)?
I have had a Macy's card for 10 years and have never had a late payment. I suffered some complications with the birth of my first child and I was ill for the next month. I was hospitalized for some of this time. I normally have a zero balance on my Macy's card, so I completely forgot about it when I paid my other bills. My total balance was only $112. When they called me I paid the balance in full. It was 34 days late at this point and they reported me to the credit agencies. My credit score dropped more than 100 points. I have called twice and sent a letter asking for a goodwill adjustment, but they would only refund the late fee. I have always had good credit and this is especially a bad time for it to drop because I was planning on buying a new car this month. Is there anything I can do?

Most Helpful Response

Not much you can do....

Since you have already negotiated for the good-will adjustment, and they denied that option, there's not much more you can do except.....

Write a letter to the Office of the President of Macy's explaining the situation and asking that they please make the good-will adjustment or close your account.  Try explaining to them that you understand that the item will still be reported on your credit for the next seven years after closing the account, but the blemish of a 4 day late payment will at least drop after that 7 years instead of you being forced to carry that blemish for the rest of your life in an attempt to keep your card open with them. 

Honestly, IMO, any company not willing to remove a single blemish after 10 years of good payment history, isn't worth keeping a relationship with anyways. <<< I would also include that line in my letter.