Question

aarin

What are the pros & cons credit score wise of closing credit cards.
I have 7 cards total. Only two of these cards currently have balances.

Most Helpful Response

If  your history with these creditors has been good, then closing the accounts will damage your credit scores.  I have about 5 cards myself, but only use 1 regularly.  I use the other ones once or twice a year just to keep them alive, but don't carry balances on them.

Credit history counts for 15% of your credit score, and good payment history counts for 35% of your credit score.

aarin

Thank you for your quick response!

Thanks Addison,

It seems like Addison is to Credit as Edison was to the light bulb. !

Thanks for the break down. Though I knew one weighed through more than the other, I was not aware of percentages. A good one to know.

And I do agree, never close revolving credit in good standing.  Use it to stay in the 1-20%

Addison170

Thanks mthiran, I appreciate the kind words.  Here's full info on how FICO is calculated:  35% payment history, 30% utilization, 15% credit history, 10% mix of credit and 10% inquiries.