What are my court judgment options?
Ok... this is a very long story, hopefully this all makes sense...

I pulled my credit report and found a court judgment for approximately $11,000. I called the court, and they were able to provide me some basic information over the phone, but to get the answers to all of my questions, I would have to go to the court house (a 2 hour drive each way), and they keep short hours. I will have to take a day off to get up there to get all the information.

What they did tell me was insightful though. Here's all my thoughts as I think about them (in no particular order).

1. It's related to a credit card debt that is nearing the 7 year drop off period.
2. The original debt is past the statute of limitations of 6 years in my state of Colorado.
3. About 2 years ago is the date listed on my credit report that this judgment was entered (so they waited 5 years).
4. The original debt that was eventually charged off was for $597. Certainly not $11,000.
5. The court stated that the default judgment was entered for $15,000 total and that a wage garnishment was ordered. I guess I just didn't ever notice.
6. Assuming that I have paid about $4000 in wage garnishments on a $600 debt, can I fight for ANY of that money back?
7. I was never served papers to appear in court. Can I vacate the judgment? If so, how?
8. 5 months ago, the Colorado Attorney General filed a lawsuit against the debt collector (listed on my credit report) and their lawyer (provided to me by phone from the court house) for their debt collection practices. The company is GTF Services. Their lawyer is Standley and Associates. Both are listed in the attached link to a court filing.

see link

9. The original debt, prior to being sold to the debt buyer no longer shows up on my credit report. This is likely due to me attempting to validate the debt, rather than validating, I received a response that it was removed.

Please help. Any advice would be great. This appears on all 3 of my credit reports. Even if valid, I feel as though I have WAY overpaid.

Most Helpful Response

Sounds like you need to report this to the FTC.