Question

dburnsy12

Wells Fargo DID do an unauthorized inquiry what are my rights?
They sent me a letter stating that they are going to change the details with the credit reporting agencies to a "Soft" pull, but cannot remove it completely. I had accounts previously with them e.g. Mortgage and Auto Loans, but all have been paid in full and the accounts subsequently closed some time ago. Their credit card department, which I have never applied for or even remotely spoken with, does a complete hard pull 2 weeks ago. I faxed a letter questioning them on how and why were they doing a complete credit check instead of the normal promotional offers check without proper authorization to do so from me. One week later WF sends me a letter explaining that they will ONLY update the info to show a soft inquiry and that it would remain as a soft pull for the next 2 years, not even an apology or explanation for doing an illegal credit pull. Their actions alone though of sending me a letter saying they are going to change the "status" shows them to be liable but does not change the fact that they still did receive a detailed credit report without proper authorization. My credit score dropped 6 points for this inquiry alone putting me below 700. At this point, I was wondering if they are still liable for "Personal Damages" under FCRA and if I should ask for the "up to $1,000" settlement that is allowed by law because their letter basically shows them to be the one's at fault?

"Soft" pulls do not affect your credit file and should only be seen by you and not other lenders.... Yes if you still have proof of them doing something illegal, then it is your right to take action against such practices.....