Question

Brokebug

Warrant for credit card debt?
My ex contacted me and told me the sheriff showed up at his house to serve me a warrant regarding a charged off credit card account. He said it was an arrest warrant with the word arrest scribbled over with marker. My ex told the sheriff I no longer live there and have moved out of the state which is true. The sheriff obviously couldn't give him any details and I have heard nothing more about this. I am so confused. Can someone explain this to me? Was this a warrant to order me to court to pay the debt? Since when does the sheriff serve warrants for credit card debt? Someone please help me understand this. I don't know much about this topic obviously.

Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. It surely was not an arrest warrant as people cannot be arrested for not paying their credit cards. Secondly, if the sheriff was utilized to serve papers for a lawsuit for the debt, the papers would not be arrest warrants with the word arrest scribbled out, they would be legal documents printed up in a legal and professional way. Law enforcement does not take part in dealing with credit card charge offs. I really have no idea what could be going on here, but it is possible that the sheriff was looking for you for another reason and didn't want to disclose it so he made up the story of a credit card charge off (which would show him to be a pretty simple minded sheriff) or maybe your ex is trying to scare you, who knows really, but if the law was really after you for something serious, I am sure that they would have located you by now. You could see if the Sheriff's office in that town has a website with wanted individuals and see if your name appears. Good luck trying to figure this all out and in the meantime, try not to worry as I don't think this is a serious as it may seem.

The sheriff would serve papers if you were being sued. They sue you in the county of your last known address. So, it's not an arrest warrant and that may be your ex trying to scare you? Not sure. But debtors prison/jail has been illegal since 1983 when it was ruled unconstitutional. You CAN call the sheriff's dept there and let them know that you heard you were served papers at a former address and want to know what it is for. They CAN tell you (they'll have you verify some info). They will contact the lawyer and that might takea  bit but they'll probably try to tranfer to where you live now. Make sure you go to court if they do so you don't get a default judgement issued against you. Don't worry about being arrested though. They cannot do that. 

Brokebug

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately the account is already defaulted and charged off, I have a lot of work to do cleaning up my credit. I actually looked up my name on my states court docket website and found the court docket. The credit card company was trying to sue me and the warrant for court was brought to my ex-fiancée's house. The case was dismissed without predujice and the CC company has a few more months to bring it to court again. Had I been told about this when it happened I would have handled it differently. Thanks again for your input, just wanted to reply to let you both know what I ended up discovering.

Brokebug

*case was dismissed without prejudice, not predujice**