Question

KellyGreen2323

Want to apply to rewards card but applying for mortgage soon
My current credit score is good in low/mid 700s and we are going to be applying for a mortgage within the next couple of months. However my current credit card is still my very first credit card that I applied for 5 years ago when I was 20 years old and just starting to establish credit. I know at this time I would qualify for a better card with rewards and be able to transfer my 50% balance which would be good. However is it a bad idea to open a new credit card, lower my average age of credit, and potentially negatively impact my credit score this soon to applying for a mortgage?

I would definitely wait until you secure your home loan before doing anything that may affect your credit. I also would not close your old card for a very long time if it is your oldest card.