Question

hogcracker6969

Want a Credit Score of 800+
I have a credit score of 796, I know what you're going to say, that is a great score. I want 800 or more. I have 1 AMEX card( 0 balance), Chase card(0 balance), no house note, my car loan was paid off last year. What can I do to boost it up to or over 800.

Most Helpful Response

0 balance or your credit report shows 0% utilization......theres a difference if your utilization isn't between 1%-10% your not getting the maximum points which needs to recognized after the payment date on your statement but BEFORE the closing date to register for the next month usually a 3-5 day difference....to make it simpler pay the card in full when the bill comes in then immediately afterwards charge 1% of your credit limit on anything dinner out...movie w/e

hogcracker6969

Thanks for the advice.

Why?  At 800 you're going to get the same offers and interest rates you are getting now.  Don't get hung up on numbers, not even Bill Gates or Warren Buffett has an 850 score, I can promise you.  If you want a really great score,  you need:  (1) an open mortgage account (2) an open auto loan (3) at least one open credit card (keeping a small balance on it drives your score up, I kid you not) (4) an open line of credit (5) a personal loan...  In other words you need as many different types of credit as you can get.  That why it doesn't always make sense to go after the big score, you have to tie up a lot of funds.  To learn more, visit www.credit.about.com.