Question

picaso813

Very Old Account trying to be colleted
I just received a call from a collection agency, saying they were calling on behalf of their client, who happens to be another collection agency about an account that is way over 10 years old. I believe that once an account has gone past a certain point they can no longer come after you. I don't remember this account as it's been so long. I told them I was not willing to do anything over the phone as I have no idea who they really are. Just looking for some information. I do know my credit rites and can send a letter to the company about this but I want to just be sure about what other people think before I decide what to do.

Most Helpful Response

Check  your state laws for the Statute of Limitations to see if their right to sue you has expired.  Every state is different.  Just Google "Statute of Limitations" and you'll find the info.  If the statute of limitations has expired, then just blow these guys off, they have no muscle to come after you.  If the date of last activity for this account (which is the date you last made a payment on it) is at least 7 &1/2 years ago, then it should not show up on your credit report either.  Hope this helps.

Thanks

I haven't seen it on my credit report but am now wondering will this company now show up on my credit report since they are the account holder.  I know it has been over 10 years as the guy said that the account was opened in 1996 and last payment was in 1997 around there. Thanks for the infomation.  I will google it.