Question

alittlebitzen

using too much credit because I only have one card. help
I need to use my credit card to buy plane tickets, etc and then end up using too much credit and it hurts my score, so I can't get increases in my limit. What can I do?

You could buy bus tickets instead of plane tickets.   Yes maximizing your credit card has damaging effect to your overall score.   You should pay off as much as you can as quickly as possible to lower the balance before the credit card reports your balance to the credit bureau.   Maxing out a credit card does not improve your changes of a limit increase.   The odds are if you are using your current max line, you'll just increase the balance.   While they make money when you use the card and make payments over time, they like to see good credit management for credit increases.