Question

freejus

USAA goodwill adjustment requires consumer report dispute form. Yay or nay?
I emailed USAA asking for a goodwill adjustment on a paid off collection from an old credit card. The person responding said I need to fill out USAAs credit report dispute form for a request of goodwill adjustment. This seems like it might not be a good idea as it's the same when you basically tell them "this isn't my debt". If they validate it, that will set me back, right?

Thanks.

Nothing changes the credit reporting time period of 7 years for negative accounts. The Statute of Limitations to be sued for a debt could be reset if you enter a payment agreement with a creditor and then fail to make a payment. If this account is already paid, then I would say go for it if that is what the lender is telling you to do. It really makes no sense though as you would not have to fill any forms out for a goodwill deletion, but who knows, it may be their policy. Just be aware that if the account updates rather than being deleted it can cause a decrease in your scores as the update would make the collection look recent. If it were me, I would take my chances and go for it.