Question

ZingerOnSundays

U.S. permanent resident since 2013 denied credit card. Is it because of my husband's history?
I've been denied 3 times and I wonder if it's because I don't have steady income since I'm a freelance production worker, or if it's because my husband declared bankruptcy some years ago, before we even met!

Whenever you apply for credit and are denied; the lender sends a letter within 14 days. stating the reason for declining your loan or line of credit.

Thank you, mindjazz! No specific reason was stated in the letters received. That was a while back but I remember a vague reason like a an insufficient credit record or low score. Even when I was applying for a secured card. Now I could just apply again but nothing in my personal info will have changed. It would be great to know what exactly will improve my credit score or record.

It is not due to your husband, it is probably due to insufficient income or poor credit. Do some reading on Secured credit cards, apply with a lender that you may have a good chance of being approved with, check with Capital One, they have a preapproval tool on their website. I would not reapply with the lender that already denied you if nothing has changed, that would be foolish. Make sure that you get a Secured card with a lender that reports to all three credit bureaus. Spend time reading all that you can on how to build and maintain good credit.