Question

lonesomerhodes

Upgrading Credit Card
If I upgraded to a Platinum Amex from Premiere Gold...does this enhance my credit scores in anyway? FICO now just about 800. Since Platinum must be paid monthly, I would think this would be a positive hit on my report after a period of time?

Most Helpful Response

If this is a new card and the old card it still open, then it will eventually help your credit scores.  Once you get to 800, it's really hard (and, in my opinion, senseless) to get your score higher.  You're already getting the best rates and offers, so going higher won't really do you any further good.   Congrats on such a good FICO score!!

wazzsfohult

I have recently successfully upgraded my Wells Fargo Visa Cash Back card to Wells Fargo Visa Signature Card.
But you must make sure the Wells Fargo Visa credit card already has a credit limit of over $5000 otherwise the representative will not advice you to request a credit limit increase for your existing credit card rather they will try to convince you to apply for a second card at Wells Fargo which is visa signature. Just try to request a limit increase for your existing card and then call again later to request a upgrade of the existing visa card to visa signature once limit crosses $5000 otherwise wait till it crosses 5k try request every six months.

Same thing applies for Bank of America visa credit card you can upgrade without a blink once limit passes 5k

FICO

Thank you. I do have one more. How can FICO be considered 'the bible' when it differ's per source? Meaning, Discover says my FICO is 787, First Bank (Omaha) says it's 800. The reason given, is where they get their FICO information and how up to date it is. You might say who cares? But as I understand it...800 puts you into a platinum catagory with even cleaper loan rates. Important to me. I just find it odd that there is not one FICO score.