Question

occgenius

Unusual question for experienced mortgage consultant...
My mother and step-father have a home in Washington that they would like to get in my name eventually to prevent it from being sold or taken in case of one of them getting sick in the future. If this is not a concern I would like this to happen so I can reduce their bills by having them live there without payment.

Currently the home is worth 400k+ and has a mortgage of 125k. It is a duplex with studio attached that can be rented after some paint and carpet. The rent would be about $1400 coming in from both units so I would be using this for the mortgage payment. Currently the other unit is renting for $900.

I have a credit score of 622 at the low end and 40k in the bank and have my stubs from this last year of making 60k. I just quit my job and have a couple things in collections on my credit report.

I believe if she stays on a refinance that property tax will not change and it would be the only way to get me approved due to my score. We were trying to start the process and get my score up and then do another refinance in the next 5 years to put it in my name.

Where should I start to get this done, if it can be?

Thanks in advance, B

I would consult with an attorney that is familiar with property law in Washington, find one that does estate work. I am not sure about Washington, but in some states a property will have to be in the recipients name for a certain period of years before it is safe from being taken by nursing homes, etc. This is if the house is given to or given to someone for less than far market value, if the house is sold outright, then of course it cannot be touched, but there are all kinds of weird stipulations there, such as it can't be sold for a dollar or something along those lines. I am also very confused by all of it and due to the importance of the matter and the complicated nature of it all, find a good attorney that is experienced in this area to consult with.