Question

metalgear52

Unknown/unreported payments showing up as "Delinquent" in my Recent Activity
So I have two accounts (A credit card and a student loan) where there are a few times I didn't HAVE to pay. For the credit card, I have barely used it in the last few years, and as such have not had to pay it most of the time because the balance was 0$. For the student loan, I was one month ahead one time in 2011 (Advanced Payment) and let it go. Both companies show that I am up to date and everything is fine, and even the summary of each account (in CreditKarma) shows I am Current and no late or missed payments (except for the one OLD missed payment on the credit card from a while back).

For some reason I noticed today that the "Recent Activity" pane on the side states "You have 2 accounts that have been delinquent on payments."

When I open it up, it shows the same exact number of times I didn't have to pay as "Late Payments".

For instance

- For the student loan it shows 1 late payment (the 1 time I didn't have to pay)
- For the credit card it shows 13 (!!) late payments. This is the exact number of times that my balance was zero and thus I did not have to pay a cent (12), plus the one actual late payment (1).

The strangest part is that Credit Karma seems to know for each account individually that this is not an issue, it simply shows them as "Unknown:". And shows the accounts not having the missed payments that the "Recent Activity" notification shows. Basically this notification in "Recent Activity" is treating "Unknown" as "Late" and that's freaking me out.

I know those companies would not have reported me as delinquent because I am totally current and in the case of the student loan I have been hundreds of dollars OVERPAID for years. In the case of the credit card it's had a 0$ balance for like a year now.

Is it possible this is a bug with CK? Should I just not worry about it since the accounts themselves look fine on CK's summary of each?

Freaking out

The BIG question is the score.  Is your score still positive and reflective of good payment history or has it cratered since the new information?  THAT is the key... if your score has dropped dramatically recently, then it is obviously a big issue.  Else, I'd say not to worry about it as all credit monitoring systems are pulling data and interpretting that data from the CRAs.

As a side note and WORTH being aware of:  Just because you are paying ahead doesn't necessitate thatr you are "ahead" on th epayment.  If the company took the additional amount you paid in and applied it to th eprinciple, then you are affectively NOT ahead on payments and would owe the next months payment.

If, however, the held that additional amount and applied it to the next payment, you would then be ahead.  This is worth paying attention to and asking the creditor to treat the additional money (You actualy have to do this) per your goals.  IE.  If you want to pay the loan down quicker, then it is necessary to TELL the creidtor to apply the additional payment amount to the principle.  The downside (as mentioned above) is that you will not have payments already covered and will owe the next payment as usual.

Let me know if you have further questions.  Glad to help out.

metalgear52

Score was not affected yet, so I'm hoping it won't be.

On your other note, the student load I was describing was Sallie Mae, and they have a choice when you pay ahead to EITHER apply to principle or make an advance payment which will just kick in whenever you have a pending payment that hasn't been paid. Most of my other loans I cannot just pay ahead and expect not to owe the next month (because I will owe the new interest regardless), but with that one I always kept at least one (usually two) advanced payments in the hopper just in case of emergency. I know for absolute fact that I was never behind on the loan, I just didn't owe anything one month and it made sense at the time (a few years ago) to just not pay it. It shows up only as an unknown to CK, not a late or delinquent or anything. It's just this silly notification that has me worried.

metalgear52

And thanks for the reply!