Question

ulillillia

Unknown/unauthorized card over the limit, late, and overmaxed - how to remove
When I first checked my credit report (not through Credit Karma), I saw that there was only 1 card on it, one I'm expecting to see. Now, a few months later, I'm finding that there's another credit card on the report, one that I've never heard of or even authorized. What's BBY/CBNA? I never heard of that brand or name. This card is showing up as having a $300 limit with $404 on it and now 2 late payments. I first saw it a few days ago at $363 and 1 late payment. How do I report this unauthorized card and am I responsible for paying for it despite it being unauthorized and having never actually seen any paperwork or the like for it?

Write letters to all three credit bureaus and tell them to delete the account because it is not yours.  Wait for their responses.  It may take 2-3 tries.  Be persistent but polite.  Best of luck!

Hi ulillillia

That's the abbreviation for a Best Buy retail card. If you've never had this card, you'll need to file a dispute with the credit bureau. 

I very rarely shop at Best Buy.  If I want computer hardware, I always use Newegg unless I can't wait.  If I do get something from Best Buy, I always pay in cash or via debit card.

How do you contact the credit bureaus?  Is there an E-mail, an online form, or does it have to be via postal mail?  Where is this info at?  I prefer E-mail or an online form, using postal mail only if it's an absolute must.

Disputes filed

I went to annualcreditreport and filed the disputes.  I find it odd that one of the credit reports from the 3 bureaus didn't even have this card listed.  The other 2 had it listed and I filed the disputes.