Question

eriane

Unauthorized Hard Credit Inquiry
On 8/12/2015, had contacted Hughes Network for internet. Before I verify anything. I have asked them if I verify my mailing address that it will not be a hard credit inquiry. They said it would be soft credit inquiry. Once I told them my mailing address they open up account. However check my credit report and it shows it is hard credit inquiry. I mentioned it to them. They said to contact the pre-installation team next week. Pre-Installation team also said to talk to their corporate office. Corporate office says to dispute online from Equifax.

Any way to fight this because I am getting a home and it is hurting my scores.

Unauthorized inquiry

Anytime a company runs your credit for utility it will normally be a hard inquiry. Although this can hurt your credit but normally a hard inquiry only drops your score no more than 5 points. However I do understand that every point counts. One thing that you could have done was got the names of the agents that you spoke with and had them to pull the call for verification. You can dispute the inquiry with Equifax but they will most likely tell you that it will stand because you got an account with the company. I hope this helps, Good Luck with gettng the inquiry removed or added as a soft inquiry.

Dispute it with Equifax and see what happens, it is worth a try. Also you can consider filing a complaint with the BBB, just make sure you don't upset them too bad or they may cancel your service.