Question

Jeb1121

unable to make credit card payments - What do I do next?
due to recent physical limitations that have made me unemployable. I am about 30K in credit card debt and will now have to live off Social Security. What does a person do in this situation.

Most Helpful Response

hmmm

You might be one of the few people in this world that I'd recommend bankruptcy to.

I normally despise that concept with every ounce of my being...but if you're truly disabled to the point that its affected your employment, and you're burdened down that far ($30K)...bankruptcy may be your best option. 

Aside from that, if you don't want to go that route...I'd contact each credit card company right away and make some kind of arrangement with them.  Tell them your situation and what you CAN do...instead of what you can't do.  If its a small little payment each month...maybe that'll keep them from ruining your credit.  Don't sit idle and wait for them to come after you.  Just my personal opinion.

You may also consider sending them a request to waive the debt due to your disability and inablility to pay it back. Do some research on "debt waiver for disabled".

Social Security (if that is your only income) cannot be garnished to pay a debt unless it is a federal debt.  Bankruptcy does not need to be considered, especially since these are credit card debts.  Notify the companies and see if they can work a no-interest repayment plan and, if they will not co-operate, just don't pay the bills and don't answer ther phone if they call. Do not use credit cards any more and live only within your means.  Consult the Disabled Services office to see what additional assistance they can give you to help you live modestly within your income.