Question

Marie42503

Unable to locate student loan
My credit report shows 2 small Sallie Mae student loans with a report date of 2014. When I call sallie Mae they tell me they have no record under my Ssn. I tried the national student loan locator and they could not locate this loan either.

I filed a dispute with the credit bureaus and received response indicating the debt was verified. I the meantime TU changed the reported date to the date of my dispute and my score dropped 40 pts.

Can anyone suggest a course of action? Thought about method of verification requests, as i would make payments if I could locate the debt.

Thanks !

NSLDS has a record

If the loans are federal such as Stafford, Unsubsidized Stafford or Parent Loan (as opposed to private loans from banks directly), the National Student Loan Data System has a record.  You can vist: www.nslds.ed.gov.  Log on to their system and they definitely have a record.

If the loans are private, you should contact the banks directly.

If you don't remember, I would suggest contacting the Financial Aid Office of the institution you attended when you borrowed the loans.  The office will be able to tell you what type of loans you borrowed, when and how much.  

I hope this helps.

On credit report.. lost in outer space

Need same answer.... did all that no body has record FSA  NSLDS....... the loans  I do have are all up to date.....  my next step is to dispute it with credit  company....  HELP driving me crazy on phone for 6 hours Department of Ed,FSA,NSLDS they can't find it either they just give someone else to call

briarwoodiva

What type of loans did you borrow?  Subsidized Stafford, Unsubsidized Stafford, Parent Loan, Perkins Loan or Private Loan?

briarwoodiva

You can also contact  the Federal Student Aid Ombudsman for help.  Go to the main FSA website and type ombudsman in the search.  You should follow the instructions for submitting your request for help.

Contact the FSA Ombudsman

If you can't locate your loan, go to the FSA webpage and type ombudsman in search.  You should complete the request the form.  They will contact you.

I hope this helps.