Question

goldenbear23

Two same-day hard inquires (both credit cards) w/ no credit history- will this hurt my credit score?
One credit card will be cancelled and I will be paying off the entire balance every month on the remaining card - the card is solely to build credit. I'm mainly worried about the impact of the second hard inquiry since I literally have zero credit history and will be graduating in 2 years and looking for apartment/applying for a job.

Most Helpful Response

I strongly advise you to start reading about credit. First, Hard Inquiries are necessary to get credit, since you have no credit, Hard Inquiries are a necessity to start building credit, there is nothing you can do about that. Secondly, why would you cancel a card that you just got? That is not going to undo the Inquiry and it would defeat the purpose of attempting to build credit. Third, Hard Inquiries only remain on your credit reports for 2 years, cause very little damage (unless you have an excessive number of them) and the damage only lasts for six months to a year, even though they remain for two years. Do some reading and DO NOT be opening and closing cards, that is NOT a good idea.