Question

wavemaker

Turned down for recommended credit card because I "have too few credit cards"
I have managed to rebuild my credit to about 660 after having to file bankruptcy 5 yr ago. Was recently trying to finance a car and was told I have a 0 score (even though CreditKarma showed 661 before I started car shopping). Finally got financing thru my bank but banker advised that lenders are looking for 3 open credit lines. Finally decided to apply for Barclay card that CreditKarma keeps pushing. They rejected me partly because I have no credit cards! How do you get 3 open lines of credit if you have to have a card to open an account? Isn't that a lot like trying to get a job and they require experience but you can't get experience because you can't get a job? I've gotten along just fine for almost 10 years with cash and a debit card, but the fact that I am (or was) totally debt-free was a major hindrance when I wanted to finance a new car. There is something seriously wrong with this system when people are penalized for being debt-free. As far as I'm concerned they can keep their credit card that I didn't want in the 1st place. I'll just keep making do with cash and trade this vehicle just before I make the final payment. I had a good down payment so I won't have to worry about being upside down in it when I upgrade.

Most Helpful Response

been there done that

i went through a simular situation.  was debt free and living the cash lifestyle.  But reality is that Credit is a big part of the finacial world and if you want to make big purchases with out laying out a lot of cash you need a credit score.  I rebuilt mine and got the credit i needed with a couple of cards from the primary bank that i do most of my business with.  first card i got had a $1000 limit.  5 months later I  got one with a $3500 limit.  a year later I got one with a $12000. limit.  All i did was go into the bank and talk to New accounts guy and Viola!   my score is now over 800 and i receive credit card and loan offers in the mail all day long! 

wavemaker

Thanks for the tips.  Last time I checked my bank doesn't offer anything but a pre-paid card.  But that's been a few years ago.  I'll have to check into that.  If not my primary bank, the other one I deal with may be able to help.