Question

vwcastiello

Trying to increase credit utilization
I have 2 store credit cards at places I no longer shop. My credit utilization is 0 for those cards. If I make a purchase then return it will that help my credit utilization rate?

Most Helpful Response

Keep the cards

Depends if they refund your card or give you cash. You'll have to keep the item past the 'statement date' for them to know that you even used it. BUT then you pay interest. Kinda 'Catch 22' situation.

KEEP the cards, find a close, trusted friend that may use it. Get cash up front, let them use it, pay with their money. If you can't do that, order a ship free item from them and pay it off.  

The card limits help your "credit to use" limits. If it has no fees, keep it, use it once a year.

I have a "Toys R Us" card that I never use, closest store is 60 miles away, plus a gas card that is 20 miles away. but I find a way to use them once a year or so. Helps a little with my credit score.

Get creative, find a friend in the same predictament, you use their card, they use yours. Only if you can trust them. 

I only have a low to less than low rating, (disabled living on SSDI), but got creative and for some dumb reason they loaned me $19,000 for a car, not the best interest, but 6.99% is better than I thought.

Only because I kept the unused credit cards, so keep them, turned off doesn't hurt, unless you have a no-payment record.

Try for a useful card, like a Visa.

I suggest getting a REAL credit card that you can use almost anywhere to build credit.  Try for a secured credit card that is either Visa or Mastercard.  You'll have to deposit money in the issuer's bank and tthat will be your credit limit.  Use it wisely, keeping the credit utilization no higher than 20% and paying the bill in full when it arrives.  A Visa or Mastercard can be used almost anywhere and will build your credit better than using the store cards, which you should lock up for now until you REALLY need them.