Question

CoffeeMug32

Trying to get to Zero, but with debt in collections.
So I'm nearly finished paying off my college loans. They were in collections. Once they are payed off, if the fact they were in collections remains on my credit report for seven years, does that mean I WILL have a credit score for seven years as well even if I do not interact with credit? I'm trying to get to a zero credit score ASAP.

Most Helpful Response

Your score that you have today will see an increase when the collections are paid off.  Then your credit file will still have these references for 7 years, although not the best of scores.   If you don't secure any additional debt, and have no credit activity, you will in 3-4 years start to be off the credit grid.   In 7 years, you should have the thin file you desire.  Good luck on your goal to a thin file.   

There is no zero credit scores. Credit score models usualy start from 300, so at very least, your score would be at 300 or wherever that scoring model starting range is... However, if certain length of time have past without any activities being reported to CRA, then the scoring models won't able to calculate a credit scores, so in affect you would then have zero scores, you won't actually have credit score of zero, you would have no score. We just don't know exactly what that length is, could vary by scoring models, but at least one year would be an reasonable expectation.

You need a good credit score or you will never be able to buy a car or a house. Being debt free is smart but having no credit score is foolish.  Read the articles on this site so you can learn how credit works and how to use it wisely. I went from a primarily 'cash only' basis to having an excellent credit score in a few years and enjoy having a lower interest rate charged on the car I bought last year.......and I'm on a fixed income.  You only stop learning when you die.  Take the time to gain this important knowledge that can help you for the rest of your life..

CoffeeMug32

That doesn't answer the question!