Question

trisha6482

trying to get back on track with student loans in default
Its in default and on my report it says department of education is last who had it but now its closed and transferred and that was back in 2013. Any way I can find out who has it or who I can speak with so I can get my loan back on track. Sallie Mae is my lender but they transferred to navient.

Navient is just another student loan servicer so the account with Dept of Education may have been closed but Navient now owns and collects on this.  Contact them about getting some type of payment arrangements made because those loans are still due and payable until paid off, no matter how long it takes.  They do not fall off reports over time like other financial instruments do, and are not dischargable in bankruptcy.