Question

Andrewfry1989

Trying to get a mortgage but need to up my credit more?
My lowest score is 585 and I need to get to at least 620 in order to be approved for a home. I paid down all but 2 of my credit cards but I need to get my score up as soon as possible, the 2 credit cards left are maxed out but I plan on paying them down of course. One of them is $1400. The other is $600. Do you think if I paid down the $600 my score would go to 620?

Two Things

First, bring your credit card utilization below 30% and keep it there during the home buying process.  Until the loan closes and you have the keys in your hand for your new home, don't increase the utilization.  So, if you pay off the $600 credit card balance, your utilization will be at 30%.  Try to pay down the $1400 card.  Do not close any of the accounts as it will DECREASE the amount of available credit which INCREASE your utilization.

Second, put some time on your side meaning if you can wait 6 months to a year before applying for a mortgage, do so.  But keep the credit utillization below 30%.  This is not an overnight fix to increase your credit score.  

Happy Hunting for your new home!

First you need to know how credit works and how to raise your score.  Read the articles on this site and use every bit of information available here, since teaching about credit is Credit Karma's stated purpose.  Nothing is going to happen overnight but, if you really want that house, you'll do so and make the needed changes so your score will go up. I speak from experience.