Question

mangobananas

tried to fix something on credit report and backfired
I noticed that an account was reported to Credit Karma and credit bureaus as included in bankruptcy. I had been paying it - was not included (chapter 13 - discharged). Working on fixing my credit score - I went to the account holder and told them about it - was told they would fix it and show I had been paying. However, they reported that I paid late a few times while paying it. Therefore -my score went down 30 points. I would have been better off leaving it alone. Credit score higher with account included in bankruptcy then a couple late payments. Very Unhappy!!

follow-up

This is just an FYI - I guess I should have researched it better before I did that.   If I had thought about the fact that  a few late payments would outweigh all the payments over the YEARS that I did pay on time on this account - since the account was reported all at once to the credit bureaus - was like a big whammy on my credit.  Anyone else have a similar backfire happen? 

I am glad that you posted this, it serves as a good reminder to all that you must do your homework before tampering with your credit as mistakes can easily happen and be very costly when you are not sure what you are doing. Sorry to hear that this happened for you, but keep in mind that time will take care of it.

I generally do not recommend anyone try to get things modified on their reports.  Its not worth the hassle, and, yes, it can backfire.  Sometimes you can get things to go away, but then they will just come back at the worst time (and sometimes worse than before).  Only if the item(s) is absolutely false and/or terribly destructive would I recommend you fight it.  Play it as it lies is the better stradegy for most people.