Question

bukzor

Transunion score reported differently by experian, creditkarma.
I've gotten two multi-bureau credit reports today. They don't really look very similar.

CreditKarma:
TransUnion: 762 Equifax: 732 Experian: (none)
Experian:
TransUnion: 749 Equifax: 777 Experian: 802

The reason I got my reports at all is my Mortgage officer tells me my credit report came in at 718 which bumps my Mortgage Insurance by $134 a month. I got the reports to see if there were any quick wins to get me those two points then I could get them to rejigger my rate.

Now I'm in a state of complete confusion. *All* of the credit reports are above 720! What's more, what should be the same report from the same bureau comes out vastly different if I use different sources. Even worse, when I tried to get the mortgage officer to explain what was going on, he tells me they use a different FICO score for their work.

How can I possibly know when I've improved my credit sufficiently? It seems impossible.

CreditKarma shows you Vantage 3 scores which use a model created jointly by the three major credit bureaus.  Experian probably sold you FICO 8 scores which are used for most credit card and auto loan decisions.  However, mortgage lenders usually use the older FICO 4 scores which are typically a little bit lower than their newer FICO 8 counterparts.  

The only way I know of for consumers to obtain their own FICO 4 scores is to sign up for the $25/mo score monitoring service from MyFICO.  MyFICO shows you FICO 8 scores by defualt, but there is a place where you can go to see some of your other FICO scores including FICO 4 and FICO 8 Auto.