Question

Betty73

Transferring credit card dept
What I am wondering is if I transfer my credit cards debt to one card will that effect my credit score? My debt is under 4,000 just wanted to lower my total monthly payment and only have one payment

Most Helpful Response

Probably not, but it depends

Is it a card that you already have open?  If so, you might see a 1 or 2 month dip depending on when the credit companies report balances.  This happened to me a few years ago, my score took about a 50 point hit while the balance showed up on both cards.  But that was temporary.  Unless your transfer increases your credit limit, you should not see any long term impact (unless you continue to pay the same amout on a lower interest rate; less balance = higher score)

Good luck!