Question

alice929

Took offer from cap 1 for pre appr cred card. Thought pre appr not a hard inq. Now score is lower?
Why tell customers pre appr does not add a hard inquiry when it does. I would not have taken offer. I am trying to fix my score, not make it lower!

The term "pre-approved" is misleading, I agree.  It is really a marketing term and it means that they think you'll be a good match for their card based on information they obtained on you from the credit bureaus (not your full credit report).  However, it doesn't guarantee approval and yes, they will pull your full credit report before they approve you and to help decide what interest rate they will offer you.  Sorry you had to learn this the hard way.