Question

CreditQueen56

too much credit available plus too much debt
I have about 11 different credit cards with an average credit limit of $10,000 and most are utilized 60 to 85% of the limit. My score is "good", because I pay timely and have a long history, but I want to refinance my mortgage for a lower rate and can't get the "best rate". I have some $50K coming to me that I could use to fix the credit. Do I pay down to under 30% utilization on most (can't do all with that amount) or do I pay some off completely and leave others at higher utilization? What workd?

Most Helpful Response

Get Real on paying!!!

With that high a utilization, you are NOT going to get a good refinancing rate on your mortgage!! Your utilization has to be between 1 and 20% to have a chance for a lower rate.  Your best approach would be to work on getting those cards paid in full as quickly as possible and to keep the utilization below 20% from now on.  I don't know what your income is but that high a utilization rate is a slippery slope to disaster in the future.  Think over just how difficult it could be if you lost your job next week and you still had this high debt level to pay.