Question

Aremess

Too Many Soft Inquiries on my Credit Report (and something about a mortgage upon signing up)?
Just got my first credit report from Experian. Under the "Inquiries Shared Only With You" section, there are a LOT of credit inquiries - none of which I can recall making, as I have not applied for credit at all since getting my first credit card. Normally, I'd chalk this up to preapproved credit offer searches, but I'm a little freaked out because both when signing up for Credit Karma, and when requesting the Experian report (via Annual Credit Report), the sign-up process/questionnaire on both of them mentioned that 'based on my file, I might have opened a mortgage in 2014' (which I absolutely did not). I saw no mention of any mortgage in either my credit report or on Credit Karma. But between this popping up on the questionnaire, and the 40+ credit inquiries (even if they're only shared with me - which I think makes them soft inquiries?), I'm a little worried that someone, somewhere, might be using my identity somehow.

The question about your alledged mortgage in 2014 is nothing to be concerned with.   They draw questions from your credit profile and toss in some fake ones, should you have answered the one about your motgage incorrectly, you would have been denied access.   Soft inquires are ran by your current creditor as well as Credit Karma and other sites you may belong to that offer similiar services.