Question

Geates

To whom do the purchases made by an authorized user legally belong?
Because I had economically established a family unit, I added my girlfriend to my credit card account as an Authorized User. The family unit sadly fell apart. During the time we were together, she added about 10k to my account. I understand that I am responsible for that debt but are the things she purchased legally hers or mine?

This kinda goes way outside of the topic of credit, but... First off, your only hope of retreiving anything she bought is if you live in a state that recognizes common-law marriages, and if you have a good lawyer. Otherwise, you could sue her for the stuff, but I doubt you'd get it back (or get enough of it back to make it worth the costs and time spent doing so in court... $10k is way over the upper end of most small-claims court limits.)
--

Best bet is to learn the lesson, move on, cut her off from every part of your life, and inform the world who she is and what she did. Hopefully by getting word out you'll save some other poor dude from suffering the same fate.

Leagally they are hers.  Although if you had any type of agreement that she would make the payments on the card for those items you can always take her to small claims court for the cash still owed on them.  This will be hard to prove if you have been making payments on the card and do not have proof that she has been paying a portion of them in the past.