Question

jocarr

To remove or not to remove credit card
So my boyfriend asked if I wanted to have my own card with his American Express card. I said sure for emergencies as I'm really hesitant with credit cards. Now after looking at my score it seems that his credit card is going towards my credit even though it is in his name. Is this accurate? If so, should I remove my name from the card or will this hurt my credit more?

It will reflect on your report.

most people do this with kids going off to college to help them start building their own credit.

Even though you are just a signer on the account it will report to your credit report.  If you feel that his credit management is hurting your score, By all means get your name off the account.  If it looks like it is helping then you might want to keep it.

Removing yourself from the account will lower your available credit and show as a closed account. this could hurt your score in the long run.  If your score is in a good range and you think your in a good place to apply for a new card, I would do that, Open a new account in your own name PRIOR to getting your name off that Amex account.  That way you are not showing a closed account when you apply for new credit.

I understand your hesitation with Credit Cards, I was to at one time. But the reality is that in the long run you need at least a couple of cards to create a history for lenders to look at in the future when you decide you need a new car or a mortgage.  A long history will help you Qualify and get better interest rates from those lenders.

Good Luck