Question

Eruv

To raise my credit can I open a credit card and not use it work or do I use it and pay it off

I have 10 credit cards that I never carry with me and have not used in over 2 years.  I do send them 1.25 every other month,  shows up as payment history helps the credit score a lot.

If you currently do not have any credit cards, just getting one will boost your Fico scores. However, the best practice for scoring is to have a small balance (less than 10% of the credit line) report at statement time, then pay it off before the due date to avoid interest (use caution though, some cards charge interest from the time of purchase). For credit building have 2 or 3 credit cards.