Question

Shakeurfrywad

To raise credit score, is it best to open multiple cards (2 secured at $500/each) or (1 at $1000)
Also, as far as utilization, say i charged $100 on a $500 card. Is it best to pay off that $100 down to $0 each month after statement hits, or to leave the card at $100 and pay interest on it. I dont mind paying interest if it ultimately boosts my score quicker in that scenario.

Most Helpful Response

First, paying interest do NOT better your scores... The utilizations are calculated from the balances on your credit report, Creditors generally report once a month on or around the statement closing date, and it's the balance on your account when they report, affect your utilizations and credit scores, not day before or after.

-

Unless you have multiple baddies, one secured card should do the trick, whether it's 500 or 1k? makes lil difference in itself. Of course, if you planning on used it often, then higher the limit, lower the utilization percentage would be... If you haven't already, do some research on secured cards, some would graduate to unsecured willingly and relatively short time (Discover, BoA's 99/500, FNBO), some might take bit of nudge and couple of years and, some like CapOne will not graduate.

If you currently have credit cards, pay the balances to zero.   Your credit utilization will be lower which helps to increase your score.

If you don't have any cards, I would apply for 2 maximum.  If your credit scores allow, apply for an unsecured card.  Many companies offer a credit line increase if you make on time payments, say after 6 months.  For example, after my disastrous credit during my 30's, I received a Capital One card with a $500 CL.  After 6 months, my credit line was increased to $750.  I still have this card 12 years later and I can request a credit line increase every 6 months.

Whatever you choose, be sure to pay your cards on-time.  You should see your score increase in 5-7 months.  I tend to make weekly payments on my cards.  Keeps my spending honest.

Hope this helps.