Tips for recovery ?
We filed bankruptcy in 06. We got a car loan in 09 and paid our payments 100% on time. we traded it on a different truck. Again, have never been late. Last month we were turned down on a 11,000.00 loan for a camper. we were told the reason was to slow of recovery. We now have a credit card and would like tips on the best way to us it to increase our score. Along with any other ideas please?

Most Helpful Response

Interesting situation.

One thing that is going to improve your credit score will be the ending of the listing of the bankruptcy on your credit record in 2016, and the exact date depends on when you filed the bankruptcy. That is the problem with bankruptcy.

I have to disagree with some of the items by poolshark69 and If I were him, I'd never consult those 3 attorneys again because their ethics are not very good.  Always try to pay your bills and you sound as if you are making a good history with that since your bankruptcy.  The ideal way to build a good credit history with a credit card is to keep your usage at 20% or lower and pay the "Total Amount Due" shown on the statement every month.  Banks may like to receive interest but we don't need to pay it unless circumstances require it (those dratted emergencies!!) and even then we make the largest payments possible.  Unless you want to be paying a bill off forever, make payments larger than the minimum payment.  We don't have to fund the banker's Caribbean Cruise!

After the bankruptcy is cleared from the records, you may want to add another credit card to your record and keep it paid off, too.  Use the Credit Simulator program on this site to see what other actions you can do to improve your credit.  It's a fun tool with no pain because you find out what may happen without putting the funds into that action until you're ready to.  I had gradually built my credit card count to 3 and they were high interest.  I saw that consolidating them would improve my credit score and I went to my credit union to apply for a credit card that had (1) 0% interest for 12 months on balance transfers, (2) no transfer fee, (3) the interest on purchases would be 7% lowere than that of my other credit cards and (4) the credit limit was much higher than the total of my previous cards, which I have kept, giving me a much higher available credit and a lower overall usage.  Yes, got a hard inquiry, but that's no big deal after a year.

Keep up the good work on making regular payments and you'll soon find you can gradually improve your credit score so you will be living better in the future.

Also, go to and get all 3 credit reports.  Go over them carefully and file disputes on any items that are not yours.  Make it a habit to check your reports every year so all information will be correct.

Hope this helps.

Information is missing to help

Who told you it was "to slow recovery?"    It sounds like a factual statement and one that Elizabeth Warren would be interested to hear.  I did not file for bankruptcy but instead just took the advice of 3 lawyers who said just don't pay my 3 credit cards because they are unsecured loans.  That put me in the same ballpark as someone who filed bankruptcy.  Aside from that I can only tell you what I did to improve my credit rating at a snails pace was (1) Kept one card paid up.  (2) made small purchases and paid them off each month.  (3) made slightly larger purchases but left a balance for the following month of not more than $5 or $10 (banks love balances forwarded so they can earn interest).  (4) got approved for a new HomeDepot card and pay it off each month (this card also gives me a 5% reduction in the purchase to compete with Lowe's card but you must ask for the discount - they won't give it without asking at the register.)

Don't ask for credit that you know won't be approved.  These become hard inquiries.  Do not allow any lender or credit card to obtain a copy of your credit report.  Take a copy with you for them to see, and demand they let you know you can be approved based on the report you provide them.  A request for a new card or a loan is listed as a hard inquiry if it is not approved.  Not so with a request that is approved.  That seems to become a "soft" inquiry.  They will have to do a search of your credit history to be able to get the loan, but you can control whether or not they will grant it.  All matters of credit reporting is to make banks richer and make us poorer and more indebted to them.  

By the way, if you still bank with a large banking corp, consider switching to a credit union or small community bank.  Many have and it's driving the banksters crazy.