Question

jaqhol

This score v fico and all three bureaus
I have not been on here for quite sometime and just updated everything. So please, do tell why all of a sudden my credit karma score is 70 - 80 points less than my fico score and my all my credit bureau scores? I have read so many complaints on various finance blogs about the exact same thing. So I would be really interested to see a reply from a credit karma support member. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hi jaqhol,

With the introduction of Equifax to our site, we needed to display a score model that applied to both bureaus. Our previous model, the TransUnion New Account score did not work with Equifax. We chose to provide the VantageScore 3.0 because it is a transparent score and a collaboration between all 3 bureaus. FICO is a different brand of score with it's own formulas - it isn't helpful to compare scores from different models as they typically vary. The scores provided on Credit Karma are still calculated directly by the credit bureaus that maintain your credit reports - it's simply a different formula than you saw before. 

Hope that answers your questions.