Question

3470

Thin File and credit cards
Currently I have a "Thin File" resulting in no credit score at all. I have a history of poor credit, and have not had a credit card in over 10 years. I'm attempting to rebuild my credit, and would like to know which types of credit cards I should apply for, and how many. Does it hurt me to apply for more than one? Is this the right way to go ? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

Thin File

Pull your report and score and see just where you stand. Most card issuers will indicate the score range that is needed to qualify for thier cards. If they don't, Google them and you will likely find it there. I would try to get at least one bank card (secured or unsecured) depending on your situation. Also make use of the "pre qualification tools" that Credit One and Capital One use. You can fill out a short form online and they will tell you if you prequalify without generating a hard inquiry on your credit report. You may have to start with a secured card which requires you to make a deposit and that becomes your line of credit. Slowly but steadily over time you will see results. Best of luck to you my friend!