Question

xspartan09

There is a negative mark on my credit history that shouldn't belong to me. What can I do?
I recently graduated from college and checked my credit for the first time, assuming that I hadn't had much of a history until recently when I'd opened up a credit card account and paid my own utilities in my last year of college. I was shocked to find a negative mark from a collections agency which claimed I had failed to pay a $275 medical bill in 2009.

Here's the thing. In 2009, when that bill was incurred, I was a minor (17 years old) and covered under my parents' medical insurance. I certainly did not pay any of my own medical expenses and that bill should NEVER have been attached to my name, but it has apparently been damaging my credit for years as it has gone unpaid for longer and longer.

I tried to dispute the claim by explaining this situation to Experian, but they concluded that it was valid and would stay on my report. It isn't due to expire until 2015, and I'm a recent college grad who needs decent credit to get housing and start my life. What can I do about this?

Have you contacted the original creditor? That's probalby where you should start. Explain the situation and see what they can work out with you.

You do not need the services of these so called "credit repair - law firms." Anything they will do for you, you can do for yourself for free! They are only out to prey on people and steal your money, just google their reviews and complaints! It's incredible these people are allowed to operate these scams.