Question

Lolostew

There is a collection on my credit that I paid 3 years ago. It shows not paid. How long till removed
I recently checked my credit score and is showed a bill that was never paid. But, in fact I paid it 3 years ago. I called and confirmed this with the agency. They are to report it for me. Will this bring my credit back up or stay as a permanent damage to my credit? How long will it take to bring it back up?

You should dispute this with the credit bureaus and hope that it gets deleted, that should have been your first step, not contacting the debt collector. Negative accounts remain on your credit reports for seven years from the time of the original delinquency. The DOFD (date of first delinquency) on the original account is the start of the seven years. Transunion, Equifax and Experian all have websites where you can dispute incorrect information on your reports.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me give you an example: You don't pay a medical bill that is due Jan 2000, it is placed on your reports by a debt collector in 2001, the fall off time is 2007 because the seven years starts from the original account, not from when the collections hit your reports. It doesn't matter if they are paid or unpaid, the seven years is the time.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whenever paying collections you should try to get a "pay for delete agreement" to get the collections removed rather than just marked as paid.

Lolostew

Enter Your ReplyDo I need to dispute this case on all 3 reports? When I orginally disputed yesterday it automaticaly disputed through Transunion. Thank you for your help!