Question

scarlet939

the ratio on credit card and dept store cards
Why is it that you need to keep your balance below your limit to have a good credit score when these issuers continue to ask and send deals to you when you try to keep it below. One company even sent me a letter saying to keep my status of either Gold or Platinum I had to make a certain amount in purchases. If I had done that it would have used all my limit. Why do these companies want you to use all the credit limit you have with them and then it goes against you and your score. I'm sure some of you have had this situation also especially if you are trying to get or keep a good credit score. As soon as you have a little credit available you receive all the deals and sales begging you to purchase items that are really great deals but you are trying to keep your score as high as possible. I hope everyone understands what I'm talking about and I don't sound stupid, lol Thank you

I understand what you're saying. You have choices. Either ask for credit line increases, apply for new credit cards and/or change your credit cards for ones with rewards which benefit you.  Keep in mind you should only charge what you can pay off without paying interest.

Every credit lender wants you to charge items, and preferably pay interest because they make money. Certain cards do require minimum spending limits with yearly fees, but many don't. Your credit score will dictate what cards you're eligible for. Citibank Double Cash earns 1.99%/2% in rewards with no fee along with Bank of America cards, while Amex Blue Cash Preferred charges a yearly fee of $75. But you earn 6% back at grocery stores up to $6000, so that's worth the fee for me. 

I don't use store credit cards, so I have no knowledge of their requirements. 

I use my credit cards for almost all my monthly expenses, but I only charge what I can pay off before the end of the billing cycle. You can also pay your cards down bi-weekly if that's how you're paid. Nothing states you have to make your payments only once a month.