Question

TheDarkVoid

The Next Step! Life After Bankruptcy.
I just had my bankruptcy discharged on 10/10/2016. And I would like to know what happens next. I would like to improve my credit score, since I now know how credit works and how to be careful. I've been looking into credit cards and would like to know what credit cards are good to start with. I used the Capitol One Credit Card Tool and it said I was pre approved for the Capitol One Platinum Card and The Quicksliver card but I am afraid to apply because I don't know how accurate that pre approve offer is. I also made a budget which I have been sticking to. So I would like some advice, and see how to approach my new life after bankruptcy.

Thank You All
N

Most Helpful Response

Getting a preapproval from a Credit Card company does not guarantee approval.  Although, it helps.   Routinely, it takes about 2 years out of bankruptcy for credits to start looking at you in a positive light again.   Capital One offers credit steps to help people overcome poor credit or bad credit by using a secured credit card.  This is where you put down a minimal deposit and use the card wisely and over time, they will start to increase your credit limits.   Your credit already took the hit with the past payment issues as well as the bankruptcy, so you may as well apply for one of them.   Capital one is pretty good at making a counter offer if you don't initially get approved for the unsecured card.   You will need to get a card, even if it is a secured card to begin your process.

Best advice is reading the articles on this site so ytou can get a clear understanding of how credit works and how to build you score. A bankruptcy discharge means the court found that you are unable to pay your debts and are discharged from the legal obligation to do so.  However, your credit score took quite a hit with the bankruptcy that will last for ten years.  Please read the articles so you can learn how to rebuild your credit.  You will use this knowledge for the rest of your life.