Question

Hellmut77

The average age of my accounts is inaccurate , how do I get the credit companies to rectify that ?

Most Helpful Response

Dispute inaccuracy with the bureau

Review your reports to see what is inaccurate and dispute that.

I had a similar situation.  One bureau was double counting one of my credit cards.  And it was impacting both my age of credit and my utilization percentage because that was the highest balance card. 

Once you identify what's inaccurate, its just a matter of disputing with that agency.  You can write a letter to them, or do it online.

What makes you think your AAoA is wrong?

If you are getting the "average age of accounts" from Credit Karma, disregard it. What you see on here is not what lenders see. Pull your reports directly from the credit bureaus to double check everything and make sure that you get your FICO scores somewhere to. DO NOT start disputing things unless you know exactly what you are doing, there have been many cases of people causing significant damage to their credit by disputing good accounts and then unfortunately having them wiped from their reports, losing all of that good history. Really all you need to do is to factor the age of all accounts shown on a report, open or closed and then figure out the average. FICO scoring systems DO factor in closed accounts to the "aaoa".