Question

havefaith01

Texas statute of limitations for medical collections. It's for $70
I have a $70 medical collection from November 2010. They have "renewed" this collection as of April 2016 and it has dropped my FICO score over 30 points! I just found out today because I got denied credit and I was investigating the reason. Are the statute of limitations for Texas out on this one since it's been 5.5 years? If not, how in the world can I get them to take this off my credit if I pay the $70? This is now messing with loans for college. Please advise.. thank you!

The statute of limitations only applies to them time allowed for the collection attempts.  All credit accounts will be showing on credit reports for 7 years since that is the normal history time frame.  There must be something else on your credit reports that is causing your problems.

Statute Of Limitations usually refers to the length of time the creditor can file lawsuit and seeking judgement against you.

-

Then there is 7 1/2 year reportable date, the length of the time that derogatory mark/account can be on your report, some jurisdictions like New York might have shorter reportable date with certain types of account, I think it's 5 years with paid collection account, but do NOT quote me on it.

-

The removal date/reportable date dose NOT change, regardless when account was opened or closed, doesn't matter when it was send/sold to collection, doesn't matter if the collection agency brought that debt 5 years later or if it's 7th collection agency owns debt. It's 7 1/2 years from when the bad mark happened, tend to be when was last time you didn't pay that lead up to such action.

-

If it's just 70 dollars? I would ask "pay for delete" agreement in "writing". Even if it doesn't work? I might just paid it anyway, I do believe FICO 8 and some other scoring models ignore paid collection under 100 dollars when calculating your scores.

The only new thing that has popped up is the $70 medical charge that shows from April 2016.  And the reason I got denied was because of "Number of months since the most recent 60 days or more delinquency or derogatory occurrence".  Then when I came on here, it said that medical collection had been made on my credit history at the end of last month.  I will look into the agreement that was mentioned... thank you for the help!