Question

Posted in Taxes

lindarenee

Ten year old car tax
I moved to another state in 2005 and registered my vehicle in the new state within the first 30 days. Never thought anything about the old state until 2012 when I received a letter from a collector wanting back car tax not only for 2005 but also 2006. I sent them my part-year tax return, my lease showing residence in the new state, and my current registration that showed when I registered in the new state. They never (not to this day) have validated the debt or shown me a copy of the original bill, although I asked for validation. I made an educated guess as to how much the car tax (it's retroactive) would have been and mailed them a check marked paid in full. They cashed it and I heard nothing so I figured we were done. Now, three years later, they're at it again, and adding on interest and fees. I don't have any of my paperwork that I sent them back then. I refuse to pay double taxation when I paid car tax in my new state. What are my options? I'll likely never set foot in the original state again.

What type of check did you send them? If it was from a bank account then contact your bank and see if they can go back that far and get the evidence that you need. If things went how you said that they went, you may want to consider speaking with a consumer law attorney that handles FDCPA cases and see what they have to say. FDCPA stands for "fair debt collection practices act". I highly recommend the law firm of Kimmel & Silverman if they practice in your state. If not, do a google search to find one that does practice in your state.