Question

Posted in Taxes

pleisiosaur

Tax lien removal form 12277-time frame?
I originally had a federal tax lien for $4305. I've recently paid it down to $1700 through a debit on my bank account agreement.

I'm cleaning up my credit and talked to the taxpayer advocate, who advised me to submit a form 12277 asking for "withdrawal" of the lien, which apparently doesn't stay on your files.

It's been a month and no news. Has anyone done this who can estimate my chances of withdrawal, and give me an idea what the time frame might be?

Also, if the lien is withdrawn, what's the estimated bump in a FICO score? Anyone know?

Most Helpful Response

The IRS has 90 days to respond, did you request in writing that the IRS notify the credit bureaus, creditors and financial institutions and provide addresses?.  If requested they will notify the requested parties, if not requested they do not notify anyone but send you a letter of withdrawl.   You can contact the Central lien operation at 1-800-913-6050 to check on the status, since the lien was already paid and the operator may allow you to send the request in writing.  it is the quickest way to get the CR updated..

Update

The withdrawal was approved! The IRS took about 2 weeks after that to record a withdrawal at my county recorder's office. I have disputed the lien at all three bureaus and should find out soon it's been removed. 

Thanks for the eplies. 

pleisiosaur

SUCCESS!  Both EQ and EXP removed my public record within a week! TU initially just marked it as "paid" instead of  deleting it, as the other two did, but I disputed that decision and within a week it was gone!

My FICO has soared by 78 points, to 768! EQ and EXP are a little higher at 773 and 769, respectively. And suddenly, my mailbox is flooded with credit card offers, none of whcih I plan to take.

YAY! I'm FREE!

Ben There - Done That

I paid $100.00 to an EA Tax Attorney

She did in 30 minutes what I spent 3 years doing

The IRS mailed her the Certified Lien Release in 2 days ... 2 days!!

I spent 3 years trying to get the IRS to move

Tust me when i tell that an EA Tax Attorney has all the "inside" names and telephone numbers that little johhnie public will never have.

I am not an attorney _ I am a blue collar worker - sick and tired of goverment waste

striper35

Enter Your Reply do you have a number for that tax attorney?

danitzca

What lawyer was use maybe I need to try them

Can't say what your bump in score might be, depends on how old the lien is.  I'd sent the form to them again every 40 days or so.  If they agree to release, they'll send you a form back that you can send to the credit bureaus to get it removed.  Remember, you're dealing with the government, so it takes time.  Keep at it and best of luck!