Question

Posted in Taxes

gigglebunny

Tax Garnishment or Not Filing?
I'm disabled and recently went from able to work part time to not able to work at all. I have no income and am waiting on SSI/SSDI paperwork and there's a 14 month list right now. Last time I filed taxes, my refund was garnished and it went to my student loan (about $1300 of a $4500 loan) The student loan company didn't even consider it a payment toward the rehabilitation. Not even ONE. Now, I hear that if I let them take my refunds and it pays it off completely, it will NEVER come off my credit and I will always be stuck with this bad debt. Should I just not file my taxes? I want to rehabilitate this loan and get it off my credit for good. I could also really use the refund because I have no income. Is there any way to stop them from taking it?

Most Helpful Response

Possible to cancel debt.

If you are no longer able to work at all, consider looking into getting a Permanent and Total disability discharge of the student loans.  It will require a form to be filled out by a Dr to make that declaration and will take a 3 year waiting period.  I know because I was finally able to do so.  Please look into this ASAP.